10 Steps You Can Take to Level Up Your Immunity
The best steps you can take to prevent illness and level up your immune system are worth hearing again and again. And by the way, most are FREE!
1. Get 7 1/2 to 9 hours of sleep per night. Be sure to dim the lights and avoid blue light devices at least an hour before bedtime to encourage melatonin secretion (our sleep hormone).
2. Drink 1/2 your body weight in fluid ounces of non-caffeinated beverages, preferably water per day. We are about 67-70% water and our body needs it to function properly.
3. Consume fresh vegetables and some fruit on a daily basis. Plants are full of phytonutrients that support our immune system.
4. Avoid sugar and processed foods. These foods are inflammatory, and will distract our immune system from killing off pathogens.
5. Minimize excess caffeine and alcohol. Too much caffeine puts undue stress on our body. The metabolites of alcohol are toxic and require valuable resources to eliminate. Check out our delicious coffee substitute here.
6. Manage stress. Stress, especially chronic, creates inflammation in the body and impairs our immune system. Check out the Inner Balance system at www.heartmath.com for tools to help with managing stress.
7. Don’t overschedule yourself and your family. Overscheduling leads to stress, anxiety and lack of sleep. Follow nature’s example in winter; allow for quiet and stillness within your day.
8. Move your body daily, whether through exercise or a brisk walk in the cold. Movement helps the lymph system detoxify, and get rid of waste products. Mild to moderate exercise has also been shown to boost the immune system. Do not over-exercise, this is taxing to the immune system!
9. Take a minimum of 2,000 IU of Vitamin D3 per day. You may need more if you are testing low (below 40 ng/dl). We carry a tasty liquid Vitamin D called Emulsi D3 Synergy that can be given to children. You can find that in our store by clicking here.
10. Take a high quality probiotic (found in our online store above), and/or eat fermented foods daily. About 80% of your immune system resides in the gut tissue. A healthy microbiome will support a healthy immune system.
BONUS TIP: WASH YOUR HANDS FREQUENTLY! We may have forgotten this little nugget from childhood. Washing your hands has been proven effective at reducing pathogens. Do not use an antimicrobial soap. It is the mechanical action of washing (sing Happy Birthday, so you do it long enough), that removes germs. Do this immediately after being in a public place, such as the grocery store or gym.